The Ultimate List of Landing Page Optimization Tools for Better Results
Effective landing pages are a cornerstone of any good marketing strategy. They provide the perfect opportunity to turn visitors’ heads with irresistible offers and CTAs that convert. Done well, they can give a boost to your marketing efforts — with conversion rates as high as 30%.
But the challenge is that landing pages can be really hard to do well. That’s why, even though they have incredible conversion potential, they are the least popular amongst marketers.
Luckily, you don’t have to figure out landing pages on your own. There are tons of landing page optimization tools designed to help you assess, enhance, and perfect your landing pages. And we’ll be going over the best of the best in this article.
You’ll learn how to choose the right tool for your landing pages, the best landing page optimization tools around, and how to use them effectively.
Landing Page Builder Tools
When creating landing pages, you typically have two options: build it yourself from scratch or hire someone to do this. Landing page builder tools provide a third and often easier option.
They are low/no-code tools that let you build neat landing pages within minutes. The best landing page builder tools come with drag and drop features and lots of templates.
So, instead of spending hours and tons of resources creating a landing page, you can build one in minutes.
How to choose the right landing page builder tool
Before we delve into the top landing page builder tools around, here’s a rundown of features you’ll find in effective landing page builders.
- Simplicity: The best builder tools are easy to use. They offer drag and drop functionality so it’s easy to pull in page elements and see how they’ll look to your visitors. You should also look out for uncomplicated dashboards so you can easily find all the tools you need.
- Responsiveness: You want to offer landing pages that are easy to view across devices because responsive design can drastically improve conversion rates. That’s why it’s key to watch out for builder tools that factor responsiveness into their page design.
- Variety: The best tools should offer you a wide variety of landing page templates to pick from. Top of the line options will also sort templates by purpose so you can immediately find what you need.
- Forms: No matter your CTA, you’ll likely want to collect some form of visitor information (contact data, payment details etc.). So, you should watch for tools that provide a means to collect data.
The Top Landing Page Builder Tools
Instapage is one of the most recognizable landing page optimization tools around. It offers a clean, simple and easy-to-use interface that anyone can use. Here are some of its key features.
- More than 200 responsive templates and forms to choose from and an editor that lets you customize and make the pages uniquely yours.
- An intuitive drag and drop canvas where you can create landing pages in minutes. You can move things around as you like, and edit elements by simply clicking on them.
- Serve targeted messaging using landing pages that are lightning-fast and personalized to each visitor.
Because it’s a simple tool, Instapage is great for non-technical marketers. You don’t have to spend too much time fiddling with the controls and figuring out what goes where.
But if you prefer a tool that offers more bells and whistles, you should take a look at Unbounce which we’ll discuss next.
Instapage offers three packages. The cheapest is the Build package starting at $199/month. If you’d like to try it out, this package also comes with a 14-day free trial. The Convert and Ignite packages are pricier but offer many more features.
Unbounce is a page builder favorite for more than 15,000 brands globally, and for good reason. It was the first on the market and has been a dominant force since.
- Over 125 AI-powered mobile-responsive landing page templates.
- Granular customization features with many tools to tweak your landing pages as much as you like.
- It comes with dynamic keyword insertion, which lets you automatically optimize for keywords your audience is searching for.
- AI copywriting tools to instantly generate high-converting copy.
- Integrations with most of the leading marketing, productivity and CRM tools, including HubSpot, WordPress, Zapier, and MailChimp.
- Like other top page builders, Unbounce also provides A/B testing functionality so you can tell what version of the page works best.
The cheapest plan for Unbounce starts at $74/month, although you stand to save 25% on the fee when billed yearly. However, the plans get much pricier as they scale higher, with the most exclusive plan topping $469/month.
For businesses with limited budgets, Leadpages offers premium landing page optimization tools at affordable rates. But the pocket-friendly nature of Leadpages isn’t its only selling point.
- The page builder lets you create unlimited SEO-optimized landing pages (across all plans) using code-free tools that are easy to use.
- It also provides unlimited leads so you don’t have to worry about a cap on your lead gen prowess.
- Just like Unbounce and Instapage, Leadpages offers dynamic text replacement, A/B testing, and more than 100 responsive landing page templates.
- Plus, it comes with 40+ integrations with tools like WordPress, Google Analytics, and MailChimp.
Leadpages’ most expensive plan is $74/month while a standard plan can be had for just $34 monthly. And there are even more cost savings on offer when billed annually.
While HubSpot gained a reputation as a CRM, it has developed features that encompass the entire marketing stack. HubSpot offers a landing page builder that lets marketers build attractive, personalized landing pages.
- It provides a library of mobile-optimized templates and an easy to use drag and drop editor.
- Users can preview how their landing pages look across devices before publishing them.
- To analyze landing page performance and results, HubSpot provides A/B testing capabilities and customized SEO suggestions.
- HubSpot’s personalization is one of its best features. Users can serve personalized content to visitors using dynamic pages that deliver custom content at the exact right moment. This provides the opportunity to increase leads by up to 55%.
HubSpot’s landing page builder is free as it comes with the usual CRM plans. These start at 29.97/month depending on the solutions you require.
Tips for effective landing page building
- Build for the customer: How do you know your landing page isn’t great? Neil Patel provides a hint: “If it doesn’t satisfy the user, it’s an awful landing page.” In addition, it should be capable of doing the job you require, whatever that is.
- Consider using video: Videos are a powerful emotional tool, which makes them perfect if you only have a few seconds and want to make an impression. Plus, 40% of people respond better to videos and visual information.
- Long or short copy? This depends on your conversion goals. Longer copy performs better for big ticket items while short copy is excellent where you require little commitment from the visitor.
Here’s what a short landing page looks like:
And here’s a longer sample from Unbounce:
A/B Testing Tools
After creating your landing page designs, they’re not done yet.
Each landing page is composed of several elements, from font type to the color and position of your CTA button. It’s hard to tell how well these elements will perform and what your target audience would prefer.
A/B testing tools let you test and optimize every single element to ensure your landing page is as effective as possible.
How to choose the right A/B testing tool
Some of the key features of top A/B testing tools include the following:
- Testing: Great A/B testing tools offer multiple testing options such as A/B, split URL and multivariate testing. In addition, they should offer client- and server-side testing options for complex or simplified testing.
- Analytics: The purpose of testing is to calculate how efficient one landing page option is against another. Therefore, the tool should provide statistical analysis and reporting to help you calculate the significance of your results in terms of ROI and conversion rates.
- Segmentation: Lastly, the tool should offer targeting capabilities so you can customize your tests according to visitor attributes. This way, you can tell exactly how specific user segments will interact with the landing page.
The top A/B testing tools
1. Google Optimize
Google Optimize is exceptional because of its ability to help you test landing page elements, even with little to no traffic.
- It comes with a native Google Analytics integration so you can conduct various types of testing and obtain in-depth insights about your landing page performance.
- Where you detect problems, it’s simple to make edits using the tool’s no-code visual editor. Although, if needed, there’s an even more sophisticated editor for developers.
- Google Analytics’ visual editing function is also great for when you want to test responsiveness across various screen sizes.
Like other tools in the Google marketing stack, Google Optimize is free for most purposes. But if you have more extensive demands, you can upgrade to the paid Enterprise plan called Google Optimize 360.
VWO offers A/B testing that suits enterprise companies perfectly. Here are some of the top features the tool offers.
- It provides the ability to run multiple tests simultaneously, so you can test various page elements at the same time
- It has a reporting tool, called SmartStats, that provides detailed results on the outcome of your tests and insights you can immediately use.
- VWO’s Bayesian statistical engine helps calculate significance so you’re certain every notable result is based on genuine, sustainable metrics.
- It offers several other features from user insights and audience dimensions to centralized experimentation management that help you identify the insights that matter.
VWO offers a free starter plan so you can take the tool for a spin. The entry plan starts at $356/month and climbs up to $1,461/month for the Enterprise plan.
Optimizely is a powerful landing page optimization tool trusted by blue-chip customers like Dolby and Ebay.
- It offers comprehensive testing options and unlimited simultaneous experiments, ensuring you’re equipped to find the most effective landing page variations.
- Experiments can be built within minutes using a visual editor.
- The Optimizely Stats Engine provides detailed and useful reports so you know exactly what’s wrong and how to fix it.
- Other features include user segmentation, randomization capabilities, and integration with tools like Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, and more.
Optimizely offers web and feature experimentation plans that customers can choose from depending on their needs. While it doesn’t publish pricing information on its website, that information can be obtained upon request.
Freshmarketer offers expanded features that let users test, target, and validate landing page experiments.
- Freshmarketer offers session replays that provide an unfiltered view of how users interact with each landing page so you can develop appropriate tests.
- It provides A/B and split testing capabilities that help you figure out the best landing page variation.
- Like other top A/B testing tools, it offers audience segmentation and an intuitive editor for creating stress-free variations.
- In addition, Freshmarketer provides revenue tracking and heatmap analysis to help you gain extra insights into what versions of your landing page work best.
Freshmarketer offers a free tier that provides 21-day access to its top features. The paid plans start at ₤15/month and go up to ₤239/month.
Tips for effective A/B testing
- One test at a time: While it’s normal to test several variables simultaneously, especially with multivariate testing, you should only test one thing at a time for each campaign. For instance, don’t A/B test an email campaign linked to a landing page you’re also testing. Otherwise, you may end up complicating your results.
- Set a clear goal: While every test produces several metrics, you should choose a primary metric right at the start of your test. This metric functions as your dependent variable. It provides a reliable measure of success and helps design an effective test.
- Decide statistical significance: Statistical significance is how compelling your results need to be to conclude that one variation is better than another. It’s also referred to as the “confidence level”. While 95% confidence is treated as the norm, it’s preferable to go higher if you’re testing for big, important changes.
Heatmap and User Behavior Tracking Tools
You’ve designed a great landing page and now know what variation has the most chance of success. But the landing page optimization journey doesn’t end here.
As visitors interact with your website, it’s helpful to learn what elements attract their attention, potential friction points in their experience, and opportunities for improvement. Heatmap and user behavior tracking tools help with this.
Here’s an example of a webpage heatmap:
How to choose the right heatmap and user behavior tracking tool
- Heatmaps: The right heatmap tool should provide multiple options for heatmap analysis. Some of the different types of heatmaps available include scroll maps, click tracking, mouse tracking, and attention maps.
- Data variety: There are many different metrics that explain user behavior on websites from bounce rate to click through rate and more. Truly great user behavior tracking tools provide a variety of data points for more detailed understanding of visitor behavior.
- Simplicity: Since user behavior and heatmap data can get complicated fast, it’s important to watch for tools that aim to simplify the experience. After all, all the data points in the world are no good if you can’t understand them.
The top heatmap and user behavior tracking tools
Hotjar is one of the best known heatmap and user tracking tools, adopted for use in over 180 countries globally.
Why’s it so popular? For one, it has a free and unlimited basic plan that anyone can use to understand the actions visitors take on their landing pages.
- Hotjar offers a powerful mix of tools such as real-time on-site surveys to capture user feedback, session replays, and granular heatmap data.
- You can drill down into session recordings with rage, u-turns, and referrers to really understand what is driving clicks on your page.
- Plus, the tool is easy to use, requires no coding or tech experience, and provides a user friendly interface.
While there’s a free basic plan, Hotjar offers various paid plans that start from $32/month and scale upwards.
2. Crazy Egg
Crazy Egg uses mouse tracking technology to map user behavior and help marketers understand where they receive traffic from and what page elements receive the most clicks.
- The tool provides several views that map visit flows such as scroll map, confetti, overlay, and list report.
- It also provides session recordings and traffic analysis for deeper insight into landing page performance and potential improvement opportunities.
- Marketers looking for several-in-one tools will see this as a great deal as Crazy Egg also offers A/B testing, surveys, and error tracking.
Crazy Egg pricing starts from $29/month for the Basic plan while the Pro plan will set you back $249/month.
Mouseflow is excellent at collecting complex data about user behavior and presenting it in easy-to-use visual reports.
- It provides six heatmap tools — movement, click, geo, scroll, live, and attention — that provide data on “every touchpoint of your users’ journey” with no guesswork.
- The tool offers standard session replay features, but it adds a unique spin with automatic Friction Scores that identify where users met bottlenecks.
- It also provides more than 30 integrations with tools like Adobe Analytics and HubSpot.
Just like Hotjar, Mouseflow has a forever free basic tier that allows up to 500 session recordings per month. The paid plans start at €31/month when billed annually.
4. Google Analytics
While the above options offer largely qualitative data, Google Analytics provides quantitative data about user behavior.
- With Google Analytics, you can learn just about everything about how users behave on your website, including how long they spent on-page and where they bounced.
- Some of the detailed metrics available with this landing page optimization tool include bounce rate, conversion rate, page speed, time on page, performance by channel, behavior by device, new vs. returning user etc.
The best thing about Google Analytics is that it is entirely free for most users. However, enterprise users who wish to obtain more granular support may upgrade to the 360 version for a fee.
Tips for effective heatmap and user behavior tracking
- Pair with A/B testing: By combining user tracking with A/B testing, you’ll receive incredibly powerful insight into landing page performance and optimization opportunities.
- Improve usability: Sometimes, users just don’t know how they’re supposed to interact with a landing page. Employ heatmaps to identify where they’re clicking that they shouldn’t be and optimize accordingly.
- Streamline: Finally, it’s a great idea to use heatmaps to audit the customer experience. If the flow of user activity isn’t as intended, you can use heatmaps to tweak as necessary, such as removing an additional CTA or adding one.
Conversion Rate Optimization Tools
With the landing page optimization tools discussed above, you have all you need to create and tweak your landing pages as needed.
But as experienced marketers know, the key to true marketing success is continuous monitoring, measuring, and improvement.
Conversion rate optimization tools provide the means to stay on top of landing page performance and squeeze out better results with marginal improvements that help your bottom line.
How to choose the right conversion rate optimization tool
- Marketing goal: It’s important to keep your marketing goal top of mind so you don’t get sidetracked by the number and variety of tools available. Identify what features your current marketing stack already provides and only go for whatever improves you.
- Integrations: Again, you’ve likely used one tool to build your landing pages and at least another for A/B testing or user tracking. A great conversion rate optimization tool should let you integrate with that existing stack so you can make the most of your efforts.
- Maturity: Lastly, the right conversion rate optimization tool for you will depend on the maturity of your marketing efforts. For marketers just beginning to explore landing page optimization, simpler tools with straightforward features will help. But experienced operations with many marketing campaigns will benefit from more in-depth support.
The Top Conversion Rate Optimization Tools
ContentSquare provides a comprehensive suite of conversion rate optimization features.
- It offers heatmapping, A/B testing, and bounce metrics.
- The customer journey mapping tool is great for diagnosing and addressing various issues that affect visitor conversion.
- Despite its detailed buyer mapping, ContentSquare does not dig into micro-behaviors and data that don’t affect your bottom line. For instance, ContentSquare’s heat maps track user behavior using unique metrics like attractiveness rate and revenue per click.
- With ContentSquare you’re assured of seeing the KPIs that matter and insights that help you increase customer happiness.
Marketers can request a demo to receive pricing data and understand how ContentSquare can help their business.
Unlike ContentSquare which is an all-in-one tool, OptinMonster offers specialized lead generation capabilities — and it does this very well. When it comes to increasing signups, sales, and boosting engagement, there are few tools better than OptinMonster.
- The software has an extensive library of customizable templates for lead generation goals of all kinds.
- Its features include opt-ins, pop-ups, floating bars, scroll boxes, and gamified wheels.
- The tool provides exit intent capabilities, geolocation targeting, A/B testing and more — everything you need to ensure that leads come flowing in.
- And where you suspect that things might not be proceeding as you expect, OptinMonster also offers a suite of analytics tools to diagnose and address conversion rate issues all in one handy tool.
Billed annually, OptinMonster’s lowest plan starts at $9/month and goes up to $45/month for the Growth plan.
Tars is a chatbot creator that lets marketers put a fresh and engaging spin to their landing pages using chatbots.
According to Leadoo, chatbots can help boost page conversion rates by 30%. This makes them an attractive tool for those seeking opportunities for landing page optimization.
- With this tool, it’s possible to automate customer service interactions and optimize conversion funnels by providing an intelligent bot that engages customers.
- It’s also an excellent remarketing tool that can be deployed across platforms, from web to WhatsApp and SMS.
All of Tars’ plans come with a 14-day free trial. There are three plans to choose from: Basic, Standard, and Suite, and they include features for every business size and marketing goal.
Here’s a conversion optimization secret many don’t know:
Pages with interactive content such as quizzes, surveys, assessments, and calculators can fetch conversion rates up to 40% — roughly four times higher than traditional landing pages.
Marquiz offers an option for marketers looking to optimize conversion using interactive forms and quizzes. The tool is a quiz builder that lets you attract, engage, and pre-qualify prospects in a seamless, all-in-one package.
- Marquiz surveys operate as a dialog, delighting users and keeping them engaged on their journey to convert.
- It comes with nearly 30 ready-made templates, easy-to-use editor, conversion triggers, and an intuitive interface.
- With Maquiz, it’s also possible to create specific landing pages with forms and quizzes personalized to your target audience. You can decide to publish the landing page using Marquiz’ domain name or customize it to your existing website.
You can create a landing page in as little as ten minutes using any of several templates, segment your visitors as you wish, and analyze the results at the touch of a button.
Overall, Marquiz is a cost-effective alternative (starting at $19/month) if you need to generate leads using a form or quiz on your landing page.
Tips for effective conversion rate optimization
- Above-the fold CTAs: Don’t make visitors work to find your CTAs. The earlier you serve the CTA, the faster you can get visitors to convert — especially before they get distracted or bounce because they’ve lost interest.
- Test page elements: You can’t optimize your landing pages without understanding what needs improving. Adopt the practice of constantly monitoring and testing various page elements to find their best possible variation.
Great landing pages are an essential part of an effective lead generation strategy, and with the tools you’ve found here you now have all you need to create kick-ass landing pages that convert like crazy.